apply form


Each person’s immigration pathway to Canada is different according to the type of study in Canada, the length of the program and their country of origin. Below is some basis information about:

  • Temporary Resident Visas
  • Study Permits
  • Co-Op Work Permit
  • Working Holiday Visa

Visa for Programs 6 months or Less in Length

You don’t need a study permit to come to Canada to study for 6 months or less. However, in order to travel to Canada you will need to apply for either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTa), depending on what country you are from.

Please refer to the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada website for up to date requirements regarding your travel to Canada.

Study Permit for Programs 6 months or More in Length

As an international student studying for longer than six (6) months, you will need a study permit to study in Canada. An entry visa is also required for most countries. Each country has different requirements. click here to determine what the most up to date requirements are:

Before you submit your study permit application, you will need:
  • A letter of acceptance from IGK
  • Financial proof that you can support yourself while studying at IGK (tuition fees and living expenses)
  • A medical exam, if required
  • Biometrics, if required

Off-Campus Work

International students enrolled in full-time programs of 26 weeks or longer are eligible to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week as part of their studies.

Please refer to for more details.

Co-Op Work Permit

If your study includes a co-op or work placement, all international students are required to apply for a co-op work permit as well as a study permit. You must submit the application for a co-op work permit alongside the study permit. This document will allow you to work full time during your co-op work placement and you need to present the permit before your co-op component starts.

Please refer to for more details.

Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Visa (International Experience Class program) is designed to give youth the opportunity to travel and work in Canada for up to 2 years. To increase your chances of success in working in Canada, we offer English training upon arrival in Canada. In order to qualify for the IEC working holiday visa, you must:

  • Be a citizen of a partner country
  • Have a valid passport
  • Be within the age range specified under the program
  • Have a minimum amount of money to help cover your expenses in Canada
  • Have health insurance for the duration of your stay

Source Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada

Frequently Asked Questions

Can IGK apply for visas and permits on behalf of students?

No. Only Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants and Canadian Lawyers are authorized to apply for immigration visas and permits on behalf of students. However, our team can provide our students with guidance on general immigration issues, and refer them to immigration practitioners that can assist them with their needs.

When do the students receive these documents?

The students will receive these documents from the Immigration Officer at the airport or land border when they enter Canada. They must show the documentation that proves their study permit application was approved by a visa office outside Canada.

Will the student receive both documents upon entry to Canada?

If the student applied for both documents at a visa office abroad, it is likely that they will receive both documents upon entry to Canada. However, the immigration officer can decide to only issue the study permit and ask the student to apply for the work permit closer to the date when the student will start the co-op component of the program.

If the student only applied for the study permit, it is unlikely that the co-op work permit will be issued.

How do students apply for the co-op work permit?

If they are applying for a study permit for the first time, they do not need to complete a separate application form; however, they need to send a letter confirming that the program requires a work permit with their application. This document can be found on page 2 of IGK’s Letter of Acceptance.

If they are applying when they are already in Canada, they need to apply for one of the following:
Study permit extension, and indicate on the form that they also need a co-op work permit; or Work permit inside Canada, indicating that the type of permit required is a “co-op work permit”.

What if the student is completing a less-than-6-month English program as a pre-requisite for the IGK Career programs?

The best course of action is to apply for a study permit at a visa office abroad and include both Letters of Acceptance. If approved the student will receive a study permit document, and will not need to interrupt their studies in Canada when they reach English requirement to enter the college program.

Alternatively, students could enter Canada to complete their English requirement without a study permit but MUST have a study permit approved by the time they are planning to start their college program. If they opt for this, the recommendation is to apply for the study permit at least five weeks in advance, and be open to the idea of changing the start date for the college studies, if they don’t receive the study permit on time.


International Gateway Language Academy and College - Kelowna

DLI Number:

+1 (250) 868-4827

International Gateway Language Academy and College - Calgary

DLI Number: