apply form


Support. Connect. Engage.

We connect you to the Canadian work force.

Our co-op specialists support your job search, connect you with employers, and stay engaged with you throughout your co-op work placement. Our team will help you learn the skills to become work-ready and provide you with the following services:

Creating Resume

Students get the opportunity to work one-on-one with a resume consultant to edit, modify and update their resume.

Weekly Job Postings

After your resume is built, you will receive weekly job opportunities from our co-op specialist

Job Interview Coaching

We will assist you during the initial stages of securing a job, such as arranging your job interview and preparing you to succeed

Networking Events

Our Student Services team will host events where you can meet industry leaders and develop your professional network.

LinkedIn Profile

We will help you build your LinkedIn profile, including taking a professional portrait for your profile picture.

Ongoing Support

Our co-op specialists will support you every step of the way.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is co-op?

The paid co-op work experience portion is an important part of the practical side of this program. This is where the student applies the theoretical lessons learned in our academic classes to the real world. It is designed to give the student experience in a Canadian work setting that supports the learning objectives of their class.

Over the course of the academic program, co-op students will take a four-week Job Search course. This course will run in the afternoon and prepare them for the co-op section. It will help students with researching employment opportunities, understanding their own strengths and weaknesses and building a professional image.

Throughout the academic and co-op portions of this program you will receive the support from our Co-Op Coordinator who will work with you to help find a suitable work opportunity and assist you to successfully complete the co-op portion of the program. At the end of the work experience, the student is required to come back to IGK and complete their two-week Capstone portion of this program before graduating.

How much money can I earn during my studies and during co-op?

The salary depends on the company, the type of job, and previous work experience and studies. Generally, the more education and professional experience that someone has, the higher the wage can be. Earning the minimum wage during the academic period, students typically make between $ 900 and $ 1,000 Canadian dollars per month. During the co-op period, students can earn between $ 1800 and $ 2000 Canadian dollars per month.

How does the IGK help students to find jobs?

Although finding employment for the co-op portion is student’s responsibility, IGK supports students in topics such as: writing a Canadian resume, preparation of cover letter, talking to employers, how to apply, etc.

In addition, we have monthly workshops about how job interviews are like, where to look for jobs and what the Canadian work culture is like. In the same way, we have a job bank because companies know that we always have students looking for jobs. IGK is often the connection between these companies and the students.

Can I work anywhere I want for my co-op?

No, jobs for the co-op need to be related to the program you are studying. Please talk with one of our advisors to see if a job could be used for a co-op.

How do I start my co-op?

Co-ops must be approved by IGK before you start. Please talk to Career Service for more information.

Can I work part time during Co-op semesters?

Yes, students can work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the whole program period.

How many hours am I supposed to work for my co-op?

Depending on your program, the co-op is either 300 hours, 500 hours, 750 hours or 1000 hours. To complete the co-op, students need at least 80% of their co-op hours.

What happens if I cannot find a co-op in time?

Please talk to Career Services as soon as possible. We can help create a plan for your specific situation.

What is the SIN? How do I get one?

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You can go to a Service Canada Center with the required documents in order to apply for yours. For more information, you may click on the following this link.

May I change the sequence of my work and academic terms?

No. The programs offered by IGK require you to complete the academic portion of your program before entering in the co-op term.

What happens if I complete my hours before my graduation date?

Students who have completed their hours before the end of the program are allowed to keep working on a part-time basis (20 hours/week) until their graduation date.

Some of our Best Employers

Predator Ridge Resort

Shaw Business

Telus Business


Eldorado Resort

Argus Properties

Interior Health

Matterhorn Crane Rigging

Authentec Homes

Playtime Casino

Chances Casino


FourPoints Hotel Kelowna Airport by Sheraton



RoyalAnne Hotel

BNA Brewing Co

SummerHill Winery

Quails' Gate Winery

Tourism Kelowna

Downtown Kelowna

Sparkling Hill Resort & Spa

Kelowna International Airport

Starbucks Coffee Co.

Air Canada

Pacific Coastal Airlines

Hudson’s Bay


International Gateway Language Academy and College - Kelowna

DLI Number:

+1 (250) 868-4827

International Gateway Language Academy and College - Calgary

DLI Number: