This program is designed for students who would like to volunteer in a Canadian company or organization in an English speaking environment. The volunteer placement is unpaid and must be combined with at least 2 weeks of full time ESL study at IGK prior to the placement. Placements are available in a variety of fields such as: Tourism, Nonprofit Organizations, Education, Hospitality and Retail. Volunteer Placements begin weekly for ages 16 and up. Volunteer weeks must not exceed full time study weeks.
(See attached program details)
Program Length – 2, 4, 8 or 12 weeks.
Practical, Customer Service and Hospitality ESL + Guaranteed Job Placement
This 8 week program improves students English ability and customer service skills and allows for an easy transition to practice these skills in paid positions at a world famous resort. Open to Working Holiday/Experience Canada and Work Permit visa holders (see below). Ask for details.
Working Holiday and International Experience Canada Program
This program is currently available to citizens aged 18-35 from Austria, Belgium, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Taiwan. Specific conditions apply for each country. Please contact the nearest Canadian Embassy in your home country for additional information or visit:
Most common areas of employment in Kelowna
- Hotel/ Motel-front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, servers
- Ski Resorts-lift operators, ski or snowboard instructors
- Restaurants/ Pubs-kitchen help, sous-chefs, dishwashers, servers
- Golf Courses-maintenance and grounds workers
- Wineries-retail sales, tour guides, pickers
- Orchards, Farms, Ranches-pickers, farm and ranch labourers
- Construction and Building trades-skilled and unskilled labourers
- Retail shops-clerks and stock takers
In addition of full and part time ESL, International Gateway Kelowna can provide job placement assistance, resume/cover letter writing and interview techniques. Services are complimentary for IGK students enrolled in a minimum of 4 weeks of full time Practical ESL.