For all students
The following list sets out examples of prohibited conduct. It is intended to help students understand the type of conduct that will be subject to dismissal.
- Cheating or plagiarism in connection with academic program
- Physical abuse of institution’s property
- Theft or non-accidental damage to the institution’s property
- Behaviour displaying insubordination, refusal to cooperate with instructors and schedules
- The use of alcohol or nonprescription drugs while in attendance at the institution
- Flagrant disrespect of institution’s rules of conduct and policies.
- Forgery, alteration or misuse of institution’s documents, records or identification, or knowingly furnishing false information to the Institute
- Misrepresentation of oneself or of an organization to be an agent of the Institute
- Obstruction or disruption of, on or off-campus property
- The sale or knowing possession of dangerous drugs, restricted dangerous drugs or narcotics on campus property
- Engaging in lewd, indecent or obscene behaviour on campus property
- Abusive behaviour towards a member of the Institute’s staff or student body
- Soliciting or assisting another to commit any act, which would subject a student to expulsion, suspension or probation pursuant to this section.
Students who violate the Code of Conduct will be subject to the procedures and discipline outlined below, which may include immediate dismissal from the institution.
- All concerns relating to student misconduct shall be directed to the CEO. Concerns may be brought by staff, students or the public.
- The CEO will arrange to meet with the student to discuss the concern(s) within 5 school days of receiving the complaint. If the alleged conduct is of such a serious nature that an immediate dismissal may be warranted, the CEO will meet with the student as soon as is reasonably possible.
- Following the meeting with the student, the CEO will conduct whatever further enquiry or investigation is necessary to determine whether the concerns are substantiated.
- Any necessary inquiries or investigations shall be completed within 5 school days of the initial meeting with the student.
The CEO will meet with the student and do one of the following:
- Determine that the concern(s) were unsubstantiated;
Determine that the concern(s) were substantiated, in whole or in part, and either:
- i. Give the student a warning setting out the consequences of further misconduct;
- ii. Set a probationary period with appropriate conditions; or
- iii. Recommend that the student be dismissed from the The International Gateway Kelowna
- The CEO will prepare a written summary of the determination. A copy shall be given to the student, and the original will be placed in the student file.
- If the student is issued a warning or placed on probation, the CEO and the student will both sign the written warning or probationary conditions and the student will be given a copy. The original document will be placed in the student’s file.
- If a refund is due to the student, The International Gateway Kelowna will ensure that a refund is forwarded to the student within 30 days of the dismissal.
- If the student owes tuition or other fees to the institution, The International Gateway Kelowna may undertake the collection of the amount owing.